The best shopping in Sacramento, ironically, just may be in Davis. This bike-centric college town has a surprisingly chic downtown, with lots of interesting, independent stores and boutiques.
1. If you’re into design, you’ll love Nestware (204 G St.), a sophisticated, carefully curated housewares store that sells pillows, baskets, soaps, lamps, pottery, earthen dishware and garden stuff.
2. With its pink walls and vases filled with fresh flowers, Pinkadot (238 E St.) has a girly, boudoirish feel. This hip boutique caters to women in their 20s and 30s, carrying affordable lines by Joe’s Jeans, Free People, Max and Cleo, and Michael Stars.
3. Zia’s Delicatessen (616 Third St.) is Davis’ version of foodie emporium Dean & DeLuca, where you can buy imported pastas, sauces and condiments, plus all the fixings for a kick-ass picnic.
4. Dozens of colorful cruisers for sale line the sidewalk outside B & L Bike Shop (610 Third St.). Inside, there’s a massive selection of hybrid bikes, commuter bikes, Electra cruisers and cycling accessories: baskets, bells, helmets, lights, cup holders, water bottles, you name it. Oh, they do repairs, too.
5. Looking for a great baby gift? Mother & Baby Source (714 Second St.) is your place. This comprehensive store carries clothing, toys, footwear, diaper bags, nursing supplies, cloth diapers plus upscale baby couture from Kissy Kissy, Le Top and Trumpette.
6. People who pamper their feet go to Generations Family Footwear (710 Second St.), which stocks shoes, sandals and hiking boots for men, women and children by Merrell, Clarks, Dansko, Keen and Naot.