Looking for some last-minute gifts for the adventure-seeker on your list? How about a gift certificate for one of the following fun activities?
• Sacramento Comedy Spot—Located in the MARRS Building in Midtown, the Sacramento Comedy Spot offers drop-in Improv 1 classes every Wednesday and Thursday evening for $10. This is definitely something for the adventurous person—or the ham—on your list. And if you’ve guessed wrong and your recipient would rather skydive or swim with sharks than take an improv class, he can go see a show at the SCS. Shows run every Wednesday–Sunday. They are all good, but I highly recommend Anti-Cooperation League, every Saturday at 9 p.m.
Sacramento Comedy Spot
1050 20th St. (between J and K), Sacramento
• Suspects Dinner Theater—Actors are planted among audience members at this murder mystery dinner show, which takes place aboard the Delta King in Old Sacramento. Your task: trying to figure out who the killer is. (He or she may be sitting next to you!) You may also be “questioned,” as everyone is a suspect at a Suspects show. One thing’s for sure: You’ll have a good time. Shows are Friday and Saturday nights and tickets are $39.50 to $43.20. Buy a gift certificate through Christmas Eve and get two tickets for $70. Also, Suspects is offering delivery within a 10-mile radius of downtown Sacramento until Dec. 23.
Suspects Dinner Theater, aboard the Delta King in Old Sacramento
• RPM Indoor Kart Racing—The adrenaline junkie on your list will love this gift. Racers drive around one of two tracks—about a ¼ mile in length—going speeds up to 35 to 40 MPH. This may not sound fast, but it feels fast, trust me! Prices vary, and if you buy a membership, you get some perks, but basically you are looking at $24 per session. Also, RPM has gift packages ranging in price from $30 to $95.
RPM Indoor Kart Racing
3130 Bradshaw Road, Sacramento
• Lounge ON20—The adventurous foodie in your life may appreciate a gift card to Lounge ON20 in Midtown. Order from the chef’s tasting menu and the bearer of your gift card might be sampling the likes of foie gras, hamachi and cavier. The ricotta gnocchi (available on the New Year’s Eve tasting menu) features housemade ricotta cheese, black truffle and sea urchin. If you find out after the fact that your gift recipient is not quite so adventurous, not to worry, the restaurant has standard menus as well.
1050 20th St., Sacramento
• Brew Ferment Distill—This store has what you need to home brew your own beer as well as make your own wine, soda, fermented tea and cheese. Hey, for some people, attempting to make their own beer is considered a big adventure! Owned by a former mortgage broker who decided to turn his hobby into a career, Brew Ferment Distill can help newbie distillers through the process.
Brew Ferment Distill
3527 Broadway, Sacramento
Take note, a lot of places close early on Christmas Eve, if they are even open at all. But we don’t suggest waiting until late in the day Christmas Eve to pick up any of the above gift certificates. There’s adventurous . . . and then there is just plain crazy!