Gruyere Pumpkin is, in effect, a bread pudding baked right into a sugar pie pumpkin. So easy to assemble, you can sit back and drink some wine with friends as the pumpkin cooks for two hours. Don’t forget to save the seeds, and roast them for a yummy snack!
Go to Vegetarianized.com (search for “pumpkin” or “gruyere”) for more pictures of this recipe, and nutrition and price information, plus 200+ other tasty recipes to try. Check back each week for a new delish dish. You can also follow Vegetarianized.com on Facebook and Pinterest.
Time: About 20 minutes active; 2 hours 20 minutes total
1 pumpkin, about 3-4 pounds
8 ounces bread cubes from a baguette or other loaf
1/4 pound gruyere, grated
1 3/4 cups milk
2 large eggs
1/2 tablespoon salt and pepper, each
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Carefully cut around the pumpkin stem and remove, but reserve. Scoop out all the seeds and strings as best you can. Removing all the seeds is most important.
3. Place bread cubes in a single layer on a cooking-sprayed baking sheet. Toast in the oven for 5-10 minutes being carefully not to burn. Remove and set aside.
4. Alternate layers of bread and cheese inside the cavity of the pumpkin until it’s full.
5. Whisk together the milk, eggs, salt, pepper and nutmeg in bowl. Slowly pour the mixture into the stuffed pumpkin. Replace the stem and put it on the already prepped baking sheet used for toasting the baguette.
6. Bake in the oven for about 2 hours. Slice and serve hot. You can eat the pumpkin skin as well.
Writer Bio: Adrienne D. Capps loves food AND is a vegetarian! These things are not mutually exclusive in her world. She is passionate about eating, drinking, cooking, teaching, reading about food and growing food. Her goal with her food blog, Vegetarianized.com, is to open up the world of vegetarian cooking and eating to the veg-friendly and the veg-curious in an accessible way. She promises never to try to convert or make you feel guilty—just that eating less meat can be part of a healthy, fun and, above all, tasty lifestyle.