If you’re a fan of the region’s Farm-to-Fork movement, you won’t want to miss this year’s PlacerGROWN Farm & Barn Tour, scheduled on Sunday, Oct. 12 from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. This popular event encourages local folks interested in agriculture and rural living to come out with family and friends and take free self-guided tours of Placer County farms, ranches, orchards and vineyards and enjoy the array of activities offered by these participating locations. Local wines, produce, other foodstuffs and crafts will be available for purchase at many of the venues.
Here’s a sampling of activities:
• Take a walking tour in a mandarin orchard and participate in an olallieberry pie tasting at Highland Orchard in Penryn
• Sample locally made beer, learn how to spin wool and watch sheep dog demonstrations at Sinclair Family Farm in Newcastle
• Taste olive oil and ogle a quilt display at Colwell Thundering Herd Ranch in Penryn
• Get up close and personal with alpacas at Fair Winds Alpacas in Auburn
• Buy grass-fed beef, pastured poultry and additive-free pork at Coffee Pot Ranch in Sheridan
• Enjoy compost-making and kiwi-harvesting demonstrations at Shared Abundance Organic Farm in Auburn
The farm-centric event is free to the public, and a list of participating locations and activities is available on the PlacerGrown website.