|--> BEST OF SACRAMENTO GOODIE BAG DOLLAR-WISE GOURMET E-NEWSLETTERS WEDDINGS RESTAURANTS WINE|
Serious about cultivating your own produce or even growing it commercially? Soil Born Farms is offering both a Home Gardener Course and an Urban Farmer Course, as well as a variety of agricultural classes that combine classroom presentations with hands-on experience. For more information and to register for the courses or classes described below, visit the Events & Classes section of Soil Born’s website.
The Urban Farmer Course targets individuals who dream of starting their own commercial growing operation and “provides the new and aspiring grower with technical farming skills, conceptual knowledge and hands-on experience.” The course is located at Soil Born Farms’ American River Ranch and costs $650 per attendee.
The course includes:
• Fourteen classes on sustainable production skills, business planning, record-keeping, and logistics
• Twenty hands-on field hours working alongside Soil Born farmers
• Three educational visits to local organic farms
• A three-session business planning workshop
• One-on-one technical assistance on access to land, access to capital, marketing, production, business planning, legal compliance and more
The Home Gardener Course begins in late October and includes eleven seasonally-aligned classes taught by experienced gardeners. The course is also located at Soil Born Farms’ American River ranch and costs $330 per attendee. All classes are held on Saturdays from 9am-12pm except as noted.
• October 30, 5:30-8:30pm - Gardening through the Seasons
• November 9 - Soil Fertility Building
• January 11, 2014 - Garden Planning & Plant Propagation
• January 25, 2014 - Edible Perennials & Fruit Trees
• February 8, 2014 - Irrigation for the Edible Garden
• March 8, 2014 - Preparing your Spring Garden
• April 12, 2014 - Managing Garden Pests & Diseases
• May 3, 2014 - Herbs, Edible Flowers & Cut Flowers
• June 14, 2014 - Seed Saving
• July 12, 2014 - Harvesting & Preserving the Garden's Bounty
• August 9, 2014 - Planning your Winter Garden
Individual “Grow Your Groceries” classes cost $40 per attendee. Classes are at several different locations, so visit the website or call Soil Born Farms for more information.
• Cut Flower Production: Sat October 12, 3pm-7pm
• Legalities & Logistics of Starting a Small Farm: Wed October 16, 5:30-8:30
• Small Farm Site Selection & Design: Sat October 19, 3pm-6pm
• Marketing and Record Keeping Essentials: Wed October 23, 5:30-8:30
• Crop Planning: Sat November 2, 3pm-7pm
• Seasonal Fruit Tree Care: Sat November 9, 3pm-6pm
•Small-Scale Mushroom Cultivation: Sat November 16, 3pm-6pm
• Building Healthy Soil: Sat November 23, 3pm-7pm
• Organic Systems Compliance - Creating and Maintaining a Systems Plan: Wed December 11, 5:30-8:30pm