|BEST OF SACRAMENTO GOODIE BAG SPECIAL SECTIONS NEWSLETTERS RESTAURANTS WINE LOCAL EATS SACRAMENTO GIVE|
The 8th Annual Fleet Feet Shamrock’n Half Marathon is taking place Sunday. The popular event has been sold out for weeks. (Sorry to break the news if you were just dying to do a ½ marathon the morning after we set our clocks forward.) It’s good to be aware of the race for two reasons. For one, you can avoid possible road closures. Second, if you feel so inclined, you can go out and cheer. The race—which starts and ends at Raley Field in West Sacramento—takes participants over the Tower Bridge, through downtown Sacramento, onto the American River Bike Trail, into Old Sac and then back to Raley Field.
Interested in cheering participants (or just knowing what areas to avoid and when)? Here are a few places:
• 10th Street and Capitol Mall, in front of the State Capitol. You can expect runners and walkers between 7:57 a.m. (yes, “57”—for runners and walkers doing a race, every second counts!) and 9:15 a.m. While there, enjoy the live music.
• 13th Street, between J and L streets, between 7:58 a.m. and 9:20 a.m.
• Discovery Park off Natomas Park Drive, between 8:25 a.m. and 10:55 a.m. Be prepared to pay for parking—but enjoy the live music.
• Jiboom Street Bridge (in Discovery Park), between 8:28 a.m. and 11:10 a.m.
• Second Street in Old Sacramento, between 8:35 a.m. and 11:35 a.m.
• Front Street and Riverfront Promenade, between 8:35 a.m. to 12:20 p.m. You’ll see participants coming from both directions from this vantage point as they hit this area twice—and you’ll get to enjoy live music.
• The Finish Line at Raley Field, between 8:56 a.m. and 12:52 p.m.
Watch as runners enter the field and run toward the finish—to live music, of course!
Hmm . . . maybe next year I won’t procrastinate and will sign up for this event before it sells out. The 9th Annual Fleet Feet Shamrock’n Half Marathon takes place March 17, 2013. Won’t you consider joining me?
What: 8th Annual Fleet Feet Shamrock’n Half Marathon
When: Sunday, March 11
Cost: Free for spectators (This is event is sold out for participants.)